Saturday, May 5, 2012

34 things about pregnancy at 34 weeks




Since I’m 34 weeks for one more day (today). I thought I’d post a few things, 34 to be exact, I’ve discovered about pregnancy. I’ll probably come across as a bit nutty, so I hope you’ll let me know if you can relate to any of these random tidbits. 
1. Cory is going to be the cutest dad ever. Okay, I knew this already, but he just reconfirms it for me every day. 
2. I’m incredibly superstitious. Now that I’m forced to pass found pennies by instead of pick them up (and there are many pennies out there), I’m worried that bad luck will come my way. 

Image credit

3. People stare at pregnant women and it makes me uncomfortable. I know I shouldn’t, but I feel a bit like a freak show when I’m out and about anymore. I can’t go anywhere without encountering stares.
4. Your stomach isn’t the only thing to expand. My ribs and hips are also spreading, and I’m sure they’re not alone. 
5. My daughter (how fun to say that) is just like her mom--she gets hiccups a lot. I’m talkin’ 2-3 times a day. Poor thing. 
6. Baby bedding is WAY overpriced. 
7. Pregnancy = clumsiness. I seriously drop stuff ALL THE TIME! It’s all the more aggravating, because picking it back up is next to impossible. 
8. Young children are fascinated with pregnant bellies. I’ve heard many a comment from youngsters. Most have been good ones. 
9. There is no better sound in the world than hearing the baby’s healthy heartbeat. I go in once a week to be monitored on what’s called a non-stress test, and I get to spend 20 minutes listening to that magical, soothing rhythm. 

Her heartbeat is measured below. 

10. While it has been difficult being off of my narcolepsy medicine, it hasn’t been as bad as I worried it would be. I can still function at work, drive my car, get out of bed in the morning...far more than I thought I would be able to do. 
11. Compression socks are ugly and uncomfortable, but they sure beat varicose veins. 

Image credit

12. I adore watching and feeling my tum move. Just knowing there’s a small person in there making all that ruckus fascinates me. 
13. Deciding on nursery colors is next to impossible. Happy to report that I’ve finally made that decision. I’ll post more on that soon.
14. Being pregnant = serious Slurpee cravings. Love the red ones. Would drink one every day if the doc didn’t tell me to take it easy on the sugars.


15. I feel for people who suffer from heartburn. I didn’t know what this was all about until recently, and it’s no fun. 
16. This may sound nutty, but I honestly think my belly is getting bigger by the day. 
17. Having folks touch my tum doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. It’s nice to see them excited.
18. Bed rest, as nice and relaxing as it may sound, is not fun. 
19. Buying bitty clothing never gets old. 

Just look at this cute onesie that I spotted at H&M yesterday. It has a Slugbug on it! 

20. Creating a baby registry is hard work. 
21. I have no idea what my orbit is. I guess I’m growing faster than my brain can keep up, which has me running into things a lot. Of course, I’ve always been clumsy, so this could just be a symptom of that. 
22. Etsy orders need to be placed early. I waited too long (surprise surprise) and now have a mini bedding crisis on my hands. 
23. Seeing my babe’s face on the ultrasound screen is so cool. I can only imagine what it will be like to see it looking back at me when she arrives.

I just love seeing her cute little lips in this picture. My dad says it looks like she has the "big Hoeppner nose," but what does he know? ;) And big or not, it's perfect to me! 

24. Baby loves her daddy’s voice. Cory has a deep voice, and I guess babes can hear this frequency better. She sure does react when he’s around. 
25. I love how happy an expectant baby makes everyone. Not just us as her parents. My friends and family are all as excited as we are. It’s awesome. 
26. There’s guilt associated with the loss of our last baby. Almost like getting too excited about this one is somehow not giving the last one the respect she deserves or something. It’s hard to explain, but there’s always a little ache in my heart where this is concerned. 
27. Car shopping is not fun. I thought it would be, but it just isn’t. There are too many to choose from, they all cost big bucks, and the idea of parting with my dear Sally makes me sad. 
We're looking at the VW Tiguan, but we still aren't 100% sure. There's just so much to consider. 

28. Speaking of Mustang Sally, getting in and out of a sports car gets more and more difficult with my size increases. 
29. Being pregnant and looking uncomfortable as you walk through the mall is like a free pass to escape all of those annoying cart people. You know, the ones who want to “ask you one question” or give you a free sample. I was delighted to find out that they pretty much leave me alone now. I must look pretty miserable, but that’s okay!
30. I crave water, but not to drink. Weird, huh? I find a great desire to be in water right now, and I love the smell of the water coming out of the shower. 
31. Speaking of smells, I’ll be happy when my pregnancy nose goes away. Having a Superman sense of smell is not fun. 
32. Scales are not your friend when you’re gaining at least a pound a week. Of course, when are they a friend?
33. Friends who plan baby showers are the best. Thanks, PK, Brandy, Michelle, and Joannie!
34. This is a strange time, but it’s a wonderful time, and it’s one I’ll never forget. Each day brings a new adventure, and, as difficult as some of those may be, I love every minute of it! 

12 comments:

Cynthia Baldwin said...

Not too much longer now - SO happy for you! (See #25) :)

natalie said...

I love how you've written what every pregnant women feels, at some point! I might have included something about being sick every moment of every day for 9 year...i mean, months, until the baby arrived and it was so worth it, blah, blah, blah.

I think there is always an ache for what should have been. :) Even though we've got a little miracle boy, I still find myself grieving sometimes for our two angels. Luke is SO intense and I find myself wondering if our other babies would have been as difficult, etc. I think it's our mama hearts.

Can not WAIT to meet this precious girl! (I promise I won't show up at the hospital...I mean meet on the blog!) Are you sharing her name?

Oh...and one of my FAVORITE parts of new mommyhood was watching all the important people in my life evolve in their new relationships. I LOVED watching my husband become a dad and my parents become grandparents. That was as much fun as learning about my sweet girl!

jengd said...

Glad to hear everything's going so well. I can relate to SO much of what you've written here. I used to work for a candy company. I really don't like plain chocolate and REALLY don't like the smell of it. However, one day I grunched and moaned all day about how horrible the smell was, didn't anyone else smell it, etc. I couldn't help it- it was horrible and I couldn't believe it wasn't bothering anyone else. A week or two later I found out I was pregnant. I spent quite a few miserable days overly sensitive to that smell. :)

Linda said...

Enjoy these moments for this is the best time in your life, she is little one day and the next she is grown. Journal your pregnancy, it is really amazing to go back and read thirty years later. God bless you and your family.

Judy G./midnightcropper.blogspot.com said...

I just wanted to thank you for your kind comments on the Creative Crop class, the challenge using twine in the layout. I was in the middle of doing that particular page anyway from some goodies I had just gotten, and then up popped that challenge. Talk about coincidences!! This was my first time using twine, and now I'm addicted. It's makes the page look so cute! Judy

Week by Week Pregnancy said...

YES!! I'm so excited about the party! I figure why not, I'm only pregnant with this particular person once so I should celebrate as much as possible. :)

Rhonda said...

So happy for you and it's great to see you enjoying your strange/wonderful time! I hope you find a good home for Sally ;)

P. Kelly Smith said...

If anyone can rock compression socks, it would be you! Thanks for letting me be a part of your pinkified shower...it's going to be so much fun! And I can't wait to meet Little Miss Suggs!

Tamika said...

RE:
#3 I stare at pregnant women it's because I get nostalgic about when I was carrying...then I turn away for making them feel uncomfortable and the thought of doing it a 3rd time. #7 Clumsiness- I always found all of my food in my cleavage!!! #9 My Dr. was across the street from work, I went to hear the heart beat often to soothe ME! #30 Craving water? Maybe during labor it will relax you just hope you don't have to get out because its slowing it down. #31 Smells yes,yes super annoying! Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy great you'll have this blog to look back on!

Linda Beeson said...

Hey, for #3, people looking at you, they think you look adorable! I had four kids and never thought I looked wonderful being pregnant but I look at gals today who are and always think they look sooooo cute! Enjoy this time, you do look adorable!

Linda Beeson said...

By the way, I came here today because of the Washi Tape, I am learning to love that stuff!!

Elizabeth Gardner said...

Congrats Megan. I am so happy for you. I'm pregnant too and though I am not as far along as you yet I can relate to everything you wrote (especially the slurpee desires and wanting to be in water. weird!) I feel really "big"--even had my MIL ask at 18 weeks if it might be twins because I'm "showing a LOT." :/ Gr. I also know what you mean about losing a baby and still thinking of that during a pregnancy. I lost ours at 15 weeks. One year later I had a healthy girl and now we have a boy on the way. I still think of that baby all of the time. I wonder what she would be like now at 4 years old. I don't think that ever goes away....but I also don't think it means you should be less excited or happy about you new little bundle. Life happens as it is meant to, I guess. But I understand those strange feelings and being a bit torn. Still, I am so happy to hear your news and that you are doing well. Good Luck! Being a Mom is just the best.