Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fun with Coffee Filters (part 3): Lanterns and Umbrellas

Ready for the third and final installment of my coffee-filter fun? Well, the third installment for now, that is. This time, I used my color-misted filters to create faux Chinese lanterns and little paper 'brellas.

Filter Lanter
For the lantern, simply knot a piece of thread and add a few coordinating beads.

Then, thread on your coffee filters. The natural shape is perfect for creating the look of a lantern.


Add another bead or two to the top of the filter stack, tie a knot and hang your creation.


Filter 'Brellas


For the umbrellas, tie a knot at the end of a string and thread a bead for your handle.

Tie a second knot, add a second bead, and then thread two colored filters. Top it off with a top bead and tie the string with a knot. Don't be afraid to fold the filters a bit to form an umbrella shape.
How fun would these look as shower decor, either for a baby or a bridal shower?

Hope you've enjoyed my filter creations. I'd love to know which (from all three posts) is your favorite.

Thanks for taking a peek!

7 comments:

Unity Stamp Company said...

GRADUATION Decorations have just been taken to a WHOLE new level and the issue is SOLVED! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! We are doing a tent, twinkle lights and NOW COFFEE FILTERS. I LOVE you, you have made my life so much easier! Hooray!

Holly Jones said...

That's it. I'm going to buy coffee filters tonight. I want to make some "poof balls" & large flowers with them as well.
LOVE the lanterns!

Anonymous said...

Words from my mouth:
"Seriously, Megan! That is RRRRR-AD!"

suzyplant said...

This is so super duper awesomely coooooool Megan!!! I love this idea! suzy

Accounting Software said...

I remember when I was younger, I used to make lanterns during Christmas. It was really fun.

Kim Watson said...

Oooh love these 'brellas. Very pretty & festive & I love the fun colors. Amazing how vibrant the mist colors have become of late? What did we do before glimmer mists hey??

*sigh* If it wasn't pouring with rain here, I'd totally make a bunch & hang them outside.

Marianne said...

this is pretty cool I have some time on my hands today I think I'll make a few.